We invite you to join us in 2021 as we collectively take steps to spend regular time with God. Wherever you are in your journey with God, take a next step. Here are some great next steps to consider in 2021:
- Read a chapter in the Bible 5 days/week.
- Spend at least one intentional time-slot in prayer 5 days/week outside of mealtimes.
- Write down at least one key takeaway (a phrase, verse, thought, impression from the Spirit, prayer request, answer to prayer) a day from time in Bible reading and Prayer.
- Strive to memorize at least one verse every week.
- Strive to fast from something in some intentional way at least once a month.
What should I read in the Bible?
As a church in 2021, we're going to be following the Foundations NT 260 Bible Reading Plan. Here are the highlights of this plan:
- You'll read 1 chapter a day, 5 days a week (the other 2 days you can catch up or read something else).
- We will cover the entire New Testament in 2021.
- The first week begins on January 4.
- If you join us later in the year, just pick up and join us where we are in the plan.
- You'll also see that it includes a verse or two to memorize each week from the Psalms. See resources below for Bible memorization.
You can access the plan in the following ways:
Additional reading plan options if you want to go above and beyond:
How should I craft my time with God?
Check out the following Devotional Guide to help you craft your time with God. It's available in three formats:
Resources for Bible Reading
- Buy the Foundations NT 260 Reading Plan Journal (adult, teen, and kid versions available). These provide short commentary for each daily reading as well as space for you to journal.
- Consider using a study Bible to help provide important background information or in helping put things in context. At RHC, we love the ESV Study Bible which is also accessible online and through the ESV App.
- Here are some books to help you grow in your Bible reading:
- Reader's Guide to the Bible by George Guthrie
- Read the Bible for Life by George Guthrie
- How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guide Tour by Fee & Stuart
- How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Fee & Stuart
- The Drama of Scripture by Bartholomew and Goheen
- 40 Questions about Interpreting the Bible by Robert Plummer
- Habits of Grace by David Mathis
- Spiritual Disciplines of the Christian Life by Donald Whitney
- God’s Big Picture by Vaughan Roberts
Resources for Prayer
Resources for Bible Memorization
Resources for Fasting